Zombies!

Here you can ask the developers anything you like about the game.
Cravez
Fan
Fan

Zombies!

Post by Cravez »

Couple of things I thought about zombies and wanted to ask:
  • Will you have it so zombies will have an animation on "feasting" on fresh dead player bodies?
  • Have you guys planned, or know if it could be possible for a killed player to reanimate as a zombie? With their loot etc intact? I think it would make for a more interesting way to get your gear back, or other players to kill that zombie and realise it was formerly a player. That being said I would only imagine this would be a parameter possibility if the player was killed by zombies or died with the zombie virus still active in their body. Getting killed by other players via melee/gunfire wouldn't reanimate the corpse (unless they had zombie virus active)
  • I mentioned this on the discord but have you guys thought about making a variety of ways to make zombies more Immersive in their models? Example like from the mod such as missing limbs, weapons like knives/hatchets sticking from their bodies. More gore/rotting look such as exposed flesh/bone, organs hanging out etc.
  • I'm not sure if this was answered before, but will zombies be shamblers or have a form of sprinting like in the mod? Or mix of both? Based on the trailer I assume Shamblers? If so is there any gameplay elements that will make shambling zombies more of a threat? (e.g Stamina system, hordes, being able to break down doors to enter buildings etc) since it would be easier to navigate and avoid them.
Thanks!
Lucas False
Citizen of Taviana S.S.R
Citizen of Taviana S.S.R

Re: Zombies!

Post by Lucas False »

Hello!
Cravez wrote: 20 Feb 2019 15:10
  • Will you have it so zombies will have an animation on "feasting" on fresh dead player bodies?
We have no such plans at this moment.
  • Have you guys planned, or know if it could be possible for a killed player to reanimate as a zombie? With their loot etc intact? I think it would make for a more interesting way to get your gear back, or other players to kill that zombie and realise it was formerly a player. That being said I would only imagine this would be a parameter possibility if the player was killed by zombies or died with the zombie virus still active in their body. Getting killed by other players via melee/gunfire wouldn't reanimate the corpse (unless they had zombie virus active)
This idea is great and we wanted to make something like that in Origins Mod. But there are many difficulties about it.
I'm nearly sure that one day we'll make it, but not very soon.
  • I mentioned this on the discord but have you guys thought about making a variety of ways to make zombies more Immersive in their models? Example like from the mod such as missing limbs, weapons like knives/hatchets sticking from their bodies. More gore/rotting look such as exposed flesh/bone, organs hanging out etc.
We'll made some unique zombies. But don't expect too musch, as we know now, good character 3D artist costs a lot of money.
  • I'm not sure if this was answered before, but will zombies be shamblers or have a form of sprinting like in the mod? Or mix of both? Based on the trailer I assume Shamblers? If so is there any gameplay elements that will make shambling zombies more of a threat? (e.g Stamina system, hordes, being able to break down doors to enter buildings etc) since it would be easier to navigate and avoid them.
Some zombes will walk, some crouch, some crawl. Also you'll have an option to make walking ones squating using your gun.
We'll try to make zombies more dangerous, even crawling and squating ones, but for now it's not our main purpose.

Also I'd like to say, that we are making the zombie survival game, and of course zombie appearance and behavior are important.
We spend a lot of time trying to make zombies really interesting. At least more interesting than Origins Mod zombies ;)
Vladislav Markelov
MAYAK Game Studios. Programmer, game designer.
VK FB Inst Twitter
Cravez
Fan
Fan

Post by Cravez »

Awesome thanks for the answers. I hope Steam Early Access get you guys a lot of revenue and exposure to add more stuff and explore some additional options.
Cravez
Fan
Fan

Post by Cravez »

Touching back on this based on some conversations on Discord with what models would be required, would it be possible to make some default zombie models without clothing and then have these zombies spawn with randomly generated clothing? So you could have a single zombie model have potentially creating numbers of differently looking zombies based on different clothing they could have.

Also without crossing an inppropriate line, are their plans to add children zombies? They are in other games like Telltales The Walking Dead, No more Room in Hell, Dying Light and on The Walking Dead TV Show as well. I think having some children zombies would world build the game a bit more, but also strike some realism, scaryness and moral confliction that some players might hesitate a bit more when confronting a zombie child.
-Martin-
Developer
Developer

Post by -Martin- »

We though about creating modular zombies, but eventually we came to the conclusion that they would be too complex if you wanted to spawn a lot of them and it would just lag the game. A much better approach is to create very optimized models and just change the fabric on their clothes, this will allow spawning way more of them and add more to the immersion aspect of the game.

The more zombies you have in a zombie game, the better. :D