Anti-Cheat Software

Here you can ask the developers anything you like about the game.
yNapster

Anti-Cheat Software

Post by yNapster »

Hello,

I´m glad to hear that you guys keep up the good work and the rumour becomes reality, but I´m concerned about one important point...

Are you able to deploy a solid working anti cheat software that prevents cheaters and hacker from turning me into a cow or even seeing my character on his map? For me that was the main reason I stopped playing DayZ Origins and any other Arma2 OA mod.

I hope you guys focus on this point, because it´s fundamental.

Greetings
yNapster
-Martin-
Developer
Developer

Re: Anti-Cheat Software

Post by -Martin- »

yNapster wrote: 16 Jan 2018 20:40 Hello,

I´m glad to hear that you guys keep up the good work and the rumour becomes reality, but I´m concerned about one important point...

Are you able to deploy a solid working anti cheat software that prevents cheaters and hacker from turning me into a cow or even seeing my character on his map? For me that was the main reason I stopped playing DayZ Origins and any other Arma2 OA mod.

I hope you guys focus on this point, because it´s fundamental.

Greetings
yNapster
We are programming the game in such a way that most important events take place only on the server, and are sent from the server to the client computers, as opposed to ArmA, where the client computer sends information about events to the server, and the server then relays all that to the other client computers.

In practice this means that all available loot for that session is spawned only on the server, it is given a unique ID and only exists on the server. The server then sends the coordinates, owners of each item etc... to all the client computers where they are just represented visually by a model. If a client finds an item, they only find the visual model of it, they select the action "take" and the client computer says, hey server, there is an item with the ID 056 at the coordinates 0,5,6 and player so and so wants to take ownership of it. The server checks that and says, this is true, player so and so is now the owner and sends that information to the other players computers.

If a 'hacker' was to spawn 20 items at a location and try to take ownership of them the server would say, items with such ID's were not spawned by me, access denied. Even if a hacker was to teleport all the loot on their map to one place and try to take ownership of it, the server would say, yes these IDs exist but not at these locations, access denied.

The same goes for turning you in to a cow. You exist only on the server and the server tells your computer how to display you to others. Even if someone turned you in to a cow on their PC, unless the server tells everyone to display you as a cow, which it won't because they can't change that on a server, only they will see you as a cow.

In ArmA everything exists on your PC and the server just relays your actions to others, it can't verify anything because nothing exists on the server. So if a 'hacker' turns you in to a cow on their PC, they will send it to the server and the server will tell everyone to turn you in to a cow. :D

So as you can see, there are many checks that the server has to perform so we may not be able to put everything on the server because of performance issues. But we will do our best.

As for map hacks etc... I'm afraid that nobody in the world has yet figured out how to stop those, because all the information about where other players are is kept in your RAM and video memory, so if someone gets access to that they can extract all that information. To overcome this, different hardware would be needed where everything is encrypted, but then you would need another CPU just to take care of the encryption etc... :D
yNapster

Post by yNapster »

Thank you for your detailed answer!
GeneralMelchett

Post by GeneralMelchett »

-Martin- wrote: 28 Jan 2018 01:27 If a 'hacker' was to spawn 20 items at a location and try to take ownership of them the server would say, items with such ID's were not spawned by me, access denied. Even if a hacker was to teleport all the loot on their map to one place and try to take ownership of it, the server would say, yes these IDs exist but not at these locations, access denied.
Hey Martin:

I love it, but a small suggestion:

Don't do "Access Denied", just ban the shit out of them, their families, their friends and their pets :mrgreen:
yNapster

Post by yNapster »

GeneralMelchett wrote: 03 Feb 2018 13:40 Don't do "Access Denied", just ban the shit out of them, their families, their friends and their pets :mrgreen:
Thats one of the reasons I always liked Melchett and his clanmates :lol:
GeneralMelchett

Post by GeneralMelchett »

yNapster wrote: 03 Feb 2018 15:17
GeneralMelchett wrote: 03 Feb 2018 13:40 Don't do "Access Denied", just ban the shit out of them, their families, their friends and their pets :mrgreen:
Thats one of the reasons I always liked Melchett and his clanmates :lol:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
EJsCog

Anti Cheat Software

Post by EJsCog »

Hello Do you use obfuscation in your projects?I mean anti-cheat protection in games. What tricks do you use against hacking?
Lucas False
Citizen of Taviana S.S.R
Citizen of Taviana S.S.R

Re: Anti Cheat Software

Post by Lucas False »

EJsCog wrote: 10 Jan 2019 15:51 Hello Do you use obfuscation in your projects?I mean anti-cheat protection in games. What tricks do you use against hacking?
If we want tricks to work, we can't tell ;)
Vladislav Markelov
MAYAK Game Studios. Programmer, game designer.
VK FB Inst Twitter